A Sea of Hosting Options – Which One is Right for Me? – What You Need to Know About Website Hosting and Monthly Support
So you’ve decided that a web presence is important for your business – what are some of the important steps you need to know about when it comes to getting your business online? Storey Marketing is here to answer your questions, helping you to get your website started and running smoothly.
Doing a quick search for website hosting returns a plethora of options ranging anywhere from a couple dollars for a bare bones monthly plan to over $50 a month. In the world of internet hosting, the old phrase “you get what you pay for” often could not be truer. Hidden fees are more standard than not and there is a good chance that the monthly fee you think is a great deal is only introductory or a base price. Basic hosting plans typically do not include regular crucial updates or anything beyond basic tech support (including long hold times when calling in and emails that may not be answered for days). So what does this mean for you? Does hosting a website have to be confusing?
Here are a few key things that you need to keep in mind when selecting your website host:
- Do they understand the purpose of your website and unique functions needed by your business? Many hosting companies host your website but do not know anything about your business or your special needs. For example, you may need to be HIPAA-compliant and have your forms securely hosted and your patient’s PHI (Protected Health Information) kept from prying eyes. If you host with a company that does not understand or comply with HIPAA, you may be left to pay an external company to host your forms so that you are HIPAA-compliant, costing you hundreds of extra dollars each year in fees.
- It is important that your website is backed up regularly in case there are ever issues where you need to recover lost information. You need to make sure this is a feature that is included when comparing hosting packages, as it is one that is often overlooked and regretted later on when information is lost forever. Many hosting companies offer website backups but they must be performed manually and is something that can be time consuming if you have never backed up a site before. It makes more sense to find a plan that automatically backs up your site(s) for you.
- Is the hosting provider secure? Are you sure they aren’t selling your information to scammers or exposing your company to spam? It is important, especially when you are a healthcare-related company, to ensure your data is secure and actively monitored. You never know when there might be a security vulnerability and your company could face thousands of dollars in legal fees fixing a mess that should have been prevented in the first place.
- Do you want to be able to edit your own website or do you want to pay someone every time you need content updated or new pictures added? A Content Management System allows you to easily edit your content pages and if you regularly update your site, CMS is a cost-effective feature to keep your site current. When your website is developed, it is important to take this into consideration and also find out whether this is something your hosting company will help you setup or something that will incur extra fees for full functionality and support.
- If something goes wrong with your site or there is an error on the server side of your hosting, you may not know how to fix it. Make sure that the support team for your hosting provider will be there for you when you need them to ensure your site stays up and running. Nothing is worse than having a website that is down and having a difficult time contacting your hosting company’s support team.
Although hosting seems like a confusing step in designing a new website, if you choose your hosting provider based on your needs and base your choice on more than just the sticker price, choosing the best hosting provider for your needs should be a breeze!
Storey Marketing offers many options for hosting and can help to tailor a package to your specific needs. We are certified for HIPAA compliance and also back up all of your website data daily. Our Content Management System and editing features to make it simple to update your website. With plans starting at $45 a month including top-notch tech support and email addresses, Storey Marketing may be a great option for you. For more information on hosting with Storey Marketing, click here!